Indian Valley School is located in Floyd County, Virginia, approximately twenty miles west of the corporate limits of Floyd, the county seat. The Indian Valley district, which is in the northwestern part of the county, joins Carroll County on the west. The Max Mountain range is the northwest boundary between Pulaski, Montgomery, and Floyd Counties.
In the early 1900’s, there were many one-room schools in this area. These were within walking distance of the families they served. All except one was state supported. Franklin, which included elementary and high school students, was a Presbyterian mission school. Many of these state-supported schools were consolidated into two-room schools. By the early 1940’s, only six one or two room schools were left in this district. The state took over the support of the Presbyterian Franklin School as an elementary school in the late 1930’s. The high school pupils were transported to Willis High School.
In the late 1940’s a team from the State Department of Education spent several days in the county studying the terrain, roads, population, and other pertinent factors. This team recommended that one additional elementary school be built for the county. This team selected the site for the Indian Valley School. When it was learned that the price of land for the school was more than the State Board would pay, the citizens of the community met and donated the additional money to purchase the land so the school could be built.
When the school opened in the fall of 1952, there were seven teachers and approximately 250 students. The students came from Laurel Creek, Alley, Franklin, and White Rock Schools. Twenty-five students from Carroll County attended Indian Valley School on a tuition basis for about four years until a new school opened in Dugspur. The school attendance zones were redrawn in the spring of 1989.
The enrollment of the school currently for the 2017-2018 school year grades K-7 is approximately 153 students. The reputation of the school has continued to be a positive rationale for growth.
By August 2005, we completed our third phase of construction which has brought additional classroom space, a science lab, a computer lab, a technology lab, a new library, and cafeteria work stations including a dining room.
IVE’s PTO and community sponsors underwrote the addition of a school track during the 2007 - 2008 year. A new flagpole was purchased by the parent advisory board for the 2009 - 2010 school year. Also, improvements have been made to the signs and landscaping. Our faculty, staff, students, and community members continue to enjoy the additional school spaces during this school year.