ESL Program Overview
ESL Mission: The mission of FCPS ESL program is to equip English Learners (ELs) with the language skills they need to be socially and academically prepared to succeed in school and beyond.
Our ESL program is designed around our school system philosophy that all children can learn. Our English Learners (ELs) are placed in age-appropriate grade level classes where teachers use strategies and scaffolds to support ELs in accessing the grade level curriculum. ELs actively engage in meaningful learning tasks with their English-speaking peers across disciplines (language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies) throughout the instructional day. Our ESOL teachers collaborate with and support teachers to make the best instructional match for ELs and build academic language and literacy skills.
ESL services help students achieve academic success, develop critical thinking skills, and solve problems. More specifically, ESL services:
- Develop English learners’ language proficiency and communication skills.
- Create rigorous content-based curricula and resources to foster English learners’ collaboration, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Support English learners’ access to advanced academics or appropriate special services.
- Provide learning environments that build on students’ diverse academic, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Promote active participation of English learners and their families in the school community