IMPORTANT DAYS FOR AUGUST 2022:
8/9 & 8/10: first days of school and orientation for Juniors (Juniors attend 8am-11am both days)
8/11: first semester begins
8/16: Orientation sessions for parents of Juniors (6pm-7pm)
8/20: Saturday study session 9am-1pm
- SWVGS is a shared-time program; students attend the Governor's School in the morning and return to their home high schools for afternoon classes.
- SWVGS is for 11th and 12th graders.
- Students take math, science, technology, research, study skills, and career education classes at SWVGS.
- SWVGS has seven faculty members who each teach classes, including the Director, Assistant Director, and School Counselor.
- Approximately 130 students are served from nine school divisions across Southwest Virginia. School divisions provide transportation for students to and from SWVGS.
- Students from sixteen different high schools attend SWVGS.
- Each school division has a committee responsible for selecting students for the Governor's School; SWVGS personnel are not responsible for student selection.
- SWVGS is one of nineteen Academic Year Governor's Schools in Virginia.
- SWVGS has served gifted and high-achieving students since 1990.
- SWVGS is open Monday-Friday 7:00-3:00. Students take classes on two staggering schedules from 7:00-9:57 or 8:00 to 10:57.
- All face-to-face courses at SWVGS are dual-enrolled through either New River Community College or Radford University.
- Attendance at SWVGS is an excellent way to prepare for college.
- The Governor's School is supported by funds from each participating school division and by the State of Virginia.
100 Northwood Drive | Pulaski, VA 24301 | Phone 540-440-5502