Check out the Enrichment Opportunities for your child!!
MENSA READING CHALLENGE:
Many of our students have been introduced to the Mensa Reading Challenge. This would be great to encourage and monitor from home over the summer!
● “Recognizing that fostering a passion for reading early often leads to educational success, the Mensa Foundation created the Excellence in Reading program to take young readers on guided journeys to new worlds with well-rounded, challenging lists of titles.”
● The lists were compiled, based on books a well-read student should read in their lifetime by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress.
● Students that I’ve met with have been given the opportunity to hear about the program along with a list of the books for their grade level. Students need to record the date completed (not going back more than a year) and a rating for each book. Count no more than 5 books previously read.
● Participation is voluntary, but STRONGLY encouraged. If you have reluctant readers, I have LOTS of other books you can try too, just email me. The most important thing is that your child READS DAILY!
● Extra reading lists can be found by clicking on the links below:
Non-fiction reading list (you can substitute 5 book titles on your reading list for 5 books from the non-fiction list)